Monday, March 9, 2009

Down to earth

It seems as though the down side of variance caught up with me this weekend. I ran pretty well again on Saturday, up around $100, with a couple of 1st place finishes in 2 and 3 table SNGs. I was so close to my goal of doubling my initial deposits I could almost smell it. I started imagining that I would actually triple up before I even cleared my bonus, and maybe start thinking about moving up in stakes.

And then Sunday happened.

Because of my school/work/internship schedule, I can really only play on weekends, which invariably means I play quite a lot on weekends to "make up" for the time I can't play during the week. This also means that if I start to either run cold or I'm not on my A game (and I'd like to state, for the record, that I am well aware that my A game is more like a true professionals C game, and that's being generous), I feel like I need to continue since I won't be able to play again any time soon.

In any event, I wasn't too shaken by the first couple of coolers and suckouts. I mean, aces get cracked, although having them cracked by queens isn't any fun. But they started to add up. In the course of several hours (two tabling $5 and $10 SNGs with the odd donkament mixed in), I ran into aces while holding kings (and I was unable to pull the suckout, of course), had a pair of cowboys cracked by A/T when two tens hit, the second on the river, had pushes with jacks called twice by overcards (and one or both of the overcards hit), had a pair of tens cracked by A/5 (when he flopped a wheel), and ran a nut flush into a full house. It may have been the worst run of cards/luck I've encountered in that short of a period of time, compounded by the fact that I got on tilt (which I'm normally pretty good at avoiding) and started playing either too nitty or too aggressive, depending on what phase of tilt emotions I was on (anger or despair).

All told, I ended up down about $180 and did not cash in a single tournament. Looks like it might take longer to double up than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment